My name is Ian Atkinson and I live and work in Leeds in the North of England. I have a wide range of interests including leatherwork, woodwork, DIY, photography, history, genealogy, martial arts and guitars.
I am pictured above in Yellowstone National Park in America in 2010 (I’d use a more recent photo only I’m fatter and balder now).
My leatherwork business is at the Leodis Leather Website
See some old photos of Garforth with comparisons
Take a look at some of my photography in the gallery
There are a handful of tutorials in the computing section
If you need to contact me you can get in touch
Professionally I am a Senior Infrastructure Engineer working in Higher Education. I graduated from the University of Leeds with a BSc in Computing in 2003.
Since 2004 I have worked at Leeds Arts University which is a specialist arts institution founded in 1846. In my current position I work in a six person IT Services team supporting approximately 3000 students and 300 staff.
As a senior staff member I am responsible for a large variety of work including:
- Windows sysadmin including Active Directory and associated services (ADDS, DNS, DHCP etc.)
- Apple sysadmin and desktop support including JAMF
- Linux sysadmin mainly supporting Ubuntu/Apache based web servers
- Virtualisation (VMWare vSphere and vSAN)
- Microsoft Office 365 and Google GSuite administration and automation
- Design and maintenance of CISCO based L2 networks (including IOS)
- CISCO wireless networking
- Alcatel IP telephony
- Network security including web filtering (Forcepoint)
- Estate security technologies including door access control (Paxton/MiFare) and IP CCTV
- Creating in-house application (C#/.NET)
- Front and back end web development (HTML, CSS, PHP, JS and MySQL)
- Scripting and automation (BASH/Powershell)
- Distributed printing and copying (Papercut)
- Helpdesk management (Request Tracker)
- General 3rd line support, staff support and supervision of more junior staff members